August 11, 2005

El Fin


“It’s true; life really is generous to those who pursue their Personal Legend, the boy thought. Then he remembered that he had to get to Tarifa so he could give one-tenth of his treasure to the Gypsy woman as he had promised. “Those Gypsies are really smart”, he thought. Maybe it was because they moved around so much.”
The Alchemist, Paulo Coelho

If you asked what was the biggest err we made during this trip I would have to say it was our lack of an exit plan. We honestly believed that somewhere along the way we would have a great epiphany. “Aha!…this is the place, and what? You want to give us high paying fulfilling and infrequent employment. Well alrighty then.”

Except that isn’t what happened. Instead we spent the last month foundering. Even without the unfortunate events that we have been bombarded with, we would have been lost during this time. Most people seem to assume this is because we never want the trip to end, but really that isn’t it. You see Dan and I are task/goal oriented people; we set out to travel for a year and we did it! Now it is time to move on to the next adventure and we are both eager to get that started. The problem really stems from our lack of decisiveness. Somehow over the last year we have developed a serious case of co-dependency, so much so that if we cannot both reach the same conclusion at the same point, then we are rendered powerless to make any decisions.

However, I am happy to report that even with this disorder and the drama that has distracted us oh these past few weeks, we have made our decisions and we are ending our trip on a high note. Next week we are moving to Ahhhspen. Now I realize that since virtually no one voted for Ahhhspen in our on-line poll, this may come as a small surprise. But, here’s what we learned this past year and what led us to the Roaring Fork Valley.

We needed to find a town that allowed us to balance career and recreation. Aspen is surrounded by world class skiing, mountain biking, fly fishing, hiking, rafting, kayaking etc… And unlike some smaller towns Aspen has a booming economy and a veritable plethora of career options. Dan walked right into a job on the ambulance (he is, after all, the golden child, they hadn’t hired a paramedic in over five years and the very day someone quits he knocks on the ambulance bay door), and I got hired in the marketing department at The Ritz Carlton. We have secured housing and, save for my need to procure a car in the next week, we are right back into a “normal lifestyle”.

Among the harsh realities of re-entry is learning to embrace debt once again. Remember how I told you all early on that we are not independently wealthy? Well that is really crimping our style right now. We did plan enough to have not touched our savings account during this year, and we budgeted for a month or two extra in order to get re-established. But no matter, we are going to have to buy a car and soon a home.

What amuses me about this is that we lived a hedonistic, adventurous, dream lifestyle for an entire year, total cost approximately $20,000. In order to live in Aspen, drive a car and buy a one-bedroom condo the cost is approximately $30,000 a year, and that is just for the car and condo, add food, clothing, commuting etc. and we could travel for at least another two years!!! The American Dream is EXPENSIVE!

But I digress and we aren’t done RV-ing just yet. Our house in Aspen won’t be available until September 1, so for the next two weeks we will be living in our RV. Don’t you just love the visual of me exiting the camper in my business suit to go to my job at the Ritz? You can take the girl out of the trailer park but you can’t take the trailer park out of the girl.


Time to reflect:
What a gift this blog has been, I can read back through this site for years to come and be reminded of how truly fortunate I am. I just got to spend an entire year with my best friend, experiencing some of the world’s most beautiful places. I pushed personal boundaries almost daily, allowing me to grow more confident and I hope more interesting. I learned first hand about geography, history, biology and culture. My belief that people are inherently good and generous was re-affirmed day after day. I had the opportunity to renew friendships and to spend quality time with my most cherished friends. Because of our trip, friends of ours and my parents got to see parts of Mexico that they had never been exposed to before, and I got to speak another language every day for three months.

And maybe, just maybe we have inspired someone we don’t even know to do what we did. I swear it is easy once you set your mind to it, I am hard pressed to think of anything that wcould ever be so rewarding and educational. Quit your jobs, rent out your houses and buy an RV, do it NOW, not when you are old enough to wish you’d done it before. Spend a year getting to know your mate and yourself. Leave the TV at home and read every book you always said you would. Ride your bike, hike or just stop the car and appreciate everything from the engineering feats that create roads like Beartooth and Red Mountain passes, to the smallest creature along the your path. Emerge from your trip embracing the kinder, gentler and more gracious person you’ve become. Know that whenever normal life gets you down you have something extraordinary to reflect upon and to make you smile. Take the time to make yourself better by allowing yourself to be different. You too can be an Under Aged RVer, even at 75, it is a state of mind, more than an age range. And when you do hit the road, create a blog and tell us all about it, you’ll be amazed how rewarding it will be.


Que les vaya bien.
Dan and Rachel Goddard


p.s. For Sale: 2000 Lance 810 Light Camper, slightly used ;)
p.p.s. We were interviewed by the New York Times the other day, when I know a publication date I will post it on here.

35 comments:

Tara Nix said...

You are just so damn eloquent, you keep bringing tears to my eyes. Good luck to both of you, and thank you for creating a wonderful escape for all of us out here wishing we had the guts to do what you did. We're going to be staying at Maroon Bells in a few weeks. If we have time we'll drop by the Ritz to say Hi!

Tara Nix
So Cal

beth said...

Can't you keep blogging? How about starting a new blog for your Aspen adventures? I'm sure that just because you have "settled down", life will not become boring...

Anonymous said...

I have enjoyed your blog so much for the past year! Thank you for taking the time to write it. Your pictures are beautiful and you write very well, it's always very interesting. I agree with Beth, can't you start a new blog about living and working in Aspen? It sounds like even your regular non-traveling life is interesting enough for a good blog. Good luck in the next phase of your life!

Ponylady said...

Dear Dan & Rachel,

I'll add my thanx to all those who've posted appreciation for this year of wonderful narratives and glorious photos! I think Ol' George led me to your site, too. You are soooo right about taking time right now to do something you've always wanted to do ... my DH and I have been wandering around with our little travel trailer doing just that for nearly 2 years - great!

I hope this is one of those "door closes, window opens" times in your lives, and that you will consider keeping your blog going thru the Aspen adventure & beyond. Praying for Dan's swift recovery and a bright future. Be well - LdB
p.s. Hot Darn ... the NY Times - look forward to reading that interview!

Anonymous said...

I just found your blog today. What timing! My husband and I are getting ready to leave on our own similar adventure in just over one month. Thank you for sharing all of your experiences. I have already learned so much from what I've read, and your photos make me wish we were leaving tomorrow. Good luck in Aspen!

Ed said...

Dan and Rachel,
Have enjoyed your blog while you traveled.I have just recently passed through Durango and stopped for coffee at Starbucks and started asking folks about you two. I just knew everybody would know about you. But to my regret no one did. Well I pulled out my computer and gave out your web site so every one could see and read all about you and see that they also can live their dreams. I am now 4wheeling up near Silverton and seeing the great fall colors.
May the rest of your days be as excited as this past year.

blogdollar1 said...

Hi, I like your blog!. I have a blog about used airstream camper.
Stop by and check it out sometime at used airstream camper

Londonboards said...

Hi I found your blog and you had a very similar experience to us. (www.londonboards.blogspot.com)We took the kids (2 boys under 10) around the world in 335 days and included a month of Rving across the US. Our favourite place was the River Dance RV park in Eagle Valley, near to Vail and Beaver Creek (where we went skiing). Ron the campsite owner taught the boys how to fish and we ate trout for super.

We too are having a little trouble settling back to normality. The big discovery is that I now know my wife loves to get there and I love the getting there. Can't win them all.

Best of luck

Richard Board

P.S. Try publishing the blog with a blog publisher and selling it.

Kathleen Pate said...

I just discovered your blog site. My family too went cross country but on a lesser scale we had three girls 9 to 12. We only had 7 weeks. We traveled from South Florida to West Glacier to Death Valley and back to Florida. We pulled a 30 foot camper with our SUV. We had a wonderful time and I wish I had blogged the whole experience. Yours has brought back such wonderful memories. You traveled in many of the same areas we did.

I look at all the places you two went and I found myself asking my girls about maybe next summer we can do it agaiin and go the places we missed. We bypassed so many places on out journey and I would love to experience them before they get any older.

Thank you.........

Anonymous said...

Has the Housing Bubble popped? says "Yes!" A typical subdivision -- the Boca Country Club -- characterizes the area, and the problem. Read more ....

Anonymous said...

Every time I am about to give up blogging, I run into something which catches my attention � like your blog � which is a pleasant distraction from the difficulties of my own real estate work. Thanks for the read. Visit my site if you have a chance.

Anonymous said...

Guess I have to get back to my my real estate work. Enough blogging for now. I did enjoy reading your blog. Visit my site if you have a chance.

Anonymous said...

Here's the home buying process into a single weekend. She does it by compressing the real estate marketing budget into a much tighter timeframe than normal .

Anonymous said...

Blogged your blog and enjoyed the experience. Nice break from my own real estate work. Thanks. Visit my site if you have a chance.

Anonymous said...

If a "hot" real estate area cools off, who's going to argue that it does not have larger implications? , Florida, may have some valuable lessons for the real estate industry as a whole.

Anonymous said...

Hint #9 for . Bathrooms Sell Homes: Check and repair caulking in bathtubs and showers. Make the room sparkle!

Anonymous said...

Enjoyed visiting your site. Got to get back to my own, where we spotlight homes for sale on a website dedicated exclusively to the selling of a home. Not just any old website. But a website highly-ranked in the search engines , with thousands of back links already in place, directing traffic to a seller's exclusive listing.

Anonymous said...

Nice blog you have. Been looking for a good real estate blog to help me struggle through this difficult market. We've developed a unique approach to tough housing markets. Might interest you and your readers. Thanks again for an interesting site.

Anonymous said...

Hint #13 for . Three is A Crowd: Avoid having too many people present during a showing. Potential buyers need to feel at home, not like intruders being hurried through the house.

Anonymous said...

In this "cooling off" real estate market, suggest that the average residence is shown about 4 times a week during the first 3 weeks of a real estate listing. After that, an unsold home goes "stale" ... it gets shown less .

Anonymous said...

Hint #8 for . Clean Your Closets: Neat, well ordered closets look bigger, suggesting that storage space is ample. One of any home's biggest deal-killers remains: "Not enough closet space."

Anonymous said...

The No. 1 sellers' complaint on the is the "showing" process ... the line of people trudging through their home, inspecting their lives, in search of who knows what .

Anonymous said...

With the , you don't have strangers coming through your home, day after day, often week after week, at times which are not always convenient. Your home must look great ... truly great ... for one weekend only .

Anonymous said...

Blog-hopping is a habit I am trying to break since my own real estate work requires a lot of attention to detail. Then I run into a blog like yours and I�m reminded about how the internet expands our views positively. Thanks for the read. Visit my site if you have a chance.

adventure mission said...

I was searching blogs,and I found yours.Please,
accept my congratulations for your excellent work!
If you have a moment, please visit my adventure mission site.
Have a good day!

Anonymous said...

Searching for Travel Guide?
We have collected together in one convenient place a wide assortment of Travel Guide information.http://www.holiday-travel-guide.com/

Anonymous said...

Hey, while searching for widgets for my blog, I stumbled upon www.widgetmate.com and wow! I found what I wanted. A cool news widget. My blog is now showing latest news with title, description and images. Took just few minutes to add. Awesome!

sexy said...

情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣,情趣,情趣,情趣,情趣,情趣,情趣,情趣,按摩棒,跳蛋,充氣娃娃,情境坊歡愉用品,情趣用品,情人節禮物,情惑用品性易購,A片,視訊聊天室,視訊,視訊聊天,視訊交友網,免費視訊聊天,聊天室,UT聊天室,免費視訊,視訊交友,免費視訊聊天室

免費A片,AV女優,美女視訊,情色交友,免費AV,色情網站,辣妹視訊,美女交友,色情影片,成人影片,成人網站,A片,H漫,18成人,成人圖片,成人漫畫,情色網,日本A片,免費A片下載,性愛

A片,色情,成人,做愛,情色文學,A片下載,色情遊戲,色情影片,色情聊天室,情色電影,免費視訊,免費視訊聊天,免費視訊聊天室,一葉情貼圖片區,情色,情色視訊,免費成人影片,視訊交友,視訊聊天,視訊聊天室,言情小說,愛情小說,AIO,AV片,A漫,av dvd,聊天室,自拍,情色論壇,視訊美女,AV成人網,色情A片,SEX,成人圖片區

情趣用品,A片,免費A片,AV女優,美女視訊,情色交友,色情網站,免費AV,辣妹視訊,美女交友,色情影片,成人網站,H漫,18成人,成人圖片,成人漫畫,成人影片,情色網


情趣用品,A片,免費A片,日本A片,A片下載,線上A片,成人電影,嘟嘟成人網,成人,成人貼圖,成人交友,成人圖片,18成人,成人小說,成人圖片區,微風成人區,成人文章,成人影城,情色,情色貼圖,色情聊天室,情色視訊,情色文學,色情小說,情色小說,臺灣情色網,色情,情色電影,色情遊戲,嘟嘟情人色網,麗的色遊戲,情色論壇,色情網站,一葉情貼圖片區,做愛,性愛,美女視訊,辣妹視訊,視訊聊天室,視訊交友網,免費視訊聊天,美女交友,做愛影片

av,情趣用品,a片,成人電影,微風成人,嘟嘟成人網,成人,成人貼圖,成人交友,成人圖片,18成人,成人小說,成人圖片區,成人文章,成人影城,愛情公寓,情色,情色貼圖,色情聊天室,情色視訊,情色文學,色情小說,情色小說,色情,寄情築園小遊戲,情色電影,aio,av女優,AV,免費A片,日本a片,美女視訊,辣妹視訊,聊天室,美女交友,成人光碟

情趣用品.A片,情色,情色貼圖,色情聊天室,情色視訊,情色文學,色情小說,情色小說,色情,寄情築園小遊戲,情色電影,色情遊戲,色情網站,聊天室,ut聊天室,豆豆聊天室,美女視訊,辣妹視訊,視訊聊天室,視訊交友網,免費視訊聊天,免費A片,日本a片,a片下載,線上a片,av女優,av,成人電影,成人,成人貼圖,成人交友,成人圖片,18成人,成人小說,成人圖片區,成人文章,成人影城,成人網站,自拍,尋夢園聊天室

eda said...

買煙火,製造浪漫煙火小舖,101煙火,煙火小舖,煙火,仙女棒,沖天炮,勝利之花,甩炮,升空煙火,情趣用品,情趣,衣蝶情趣精品百貨,情趣用品衣蝶情趣,自慰套,飛機杯,充氣娃娃,AV女優,AV,電動按摩棒,按摩棒,G點,調情棒,後庭拉珠棒,跳蛋,變頻跳蛋,有線跳蛋,無線跳蛋,潤滑液,男女穿戴用品,穿戴用品,情趣內衣,性感內衣,情趣跳蛋,角色扮演,情趣角色扮演,丁字褲,情趣內褲,性感內褲,性感吊帶襪,網襪,性感網襪,T字褲,煙火批發,情趣禮品,情趣用品,成人用品,情趣商品,情趣內衣,情趣精品,情趣商品,單身戀人圖影區

goodeda1122 said...

自慰套,真愛密碼,
自慰套,自慰器,充氣娃娃,
性感丁字褲,AV,按摩棒,電動按摩棒,情趣按摩棒,
角色扮演,吊帶襪,丁字褲,飛機杯,
情趣,情趣用品
按摩棒,變頻跳蛋,跳蛋,無線跳蛋,G點,
潤滑液,SM,情趣內衣,內衣,性感內衣,
情趣用品,情趣,

Anonymous said...

酒店經紀 酒店打工 酒店工作 酒店上班 酒店兼差 酒店兼職 打工兼差 打工兼職 酒店應徵 禮服店 酒店 經紀 打工 兼差 台北酒店 兼職

klimatyzacja said...

klimatyzacja i klimatyzatory w biurze, klimatyzatorfirmie, domu, klimatyzacja Warszawa, co trzeba wiedzieć. Urządzenie serii HTS stanowi klimatyzator uzupełnienie oferty HiRef CCAC Telecom (klimatyzacji precyzyjnej) stanowiąc klimatyzacja
zespół złożony z części zewnętrznej iklimatyzacja Warszawa wewnętrznej, spełniający wszystkie niezbędne wymagania dla klimatyzacji precyzyjnej pomieszczeń telekomunikacyjnych i klimatyzacji technologicznych
klimatyzacja w domu• Układ sterowania zainstalowano na karcie jednostki parowacza z zabudowanym lub przenośnym wyświetlaczem
klimatyzacja• Łatwość obsługi oraz pełny dostęp od spodu urządzenia gwarantuje możliwość szybkiej interwencji serwisowej
klimatyzacja • Sterowanie mikroprocesorowe - dostępne w różnych konfiguracjach - umożliwiaklimatyzacja zarządzanie pracą dwóch urządzeń w trybie czuwania i trybie pracy rotacyjnej.
klimatyzacja wszystko co powinieneś wiedzieć o klimatyzacji i klimatyzacja wentylacji w pigulce, jak wykonać klimatyzacja czy wentylacja wie wielu jak dobrze to klimatyzacje zrobić już mniej, szczególnie dobrą klimatyzację
Mini Shiki Sai Kan posiada większość funkcji swojego większego „brata” i jest doskonałym rozwiązaniem dla klientów z klimatyzacje ograniczonym budżetem, ale wymagających wysokiej jakości

klimatyzacja said...

Hello Admin something you are really a great article :)
klimatyzacja i klimatyzatory w biurze, klimatyzatorfirmie, domu, klimatyzacja Warszawa, co trzeba wiedzieć. Urządzenie serii HTS stanowi klimatyzator uzupełnienie oferty HiRef CCAC Telecom (klimatyzacji precyzyjnej) stanowiąc klimatyzacja
zespół złożony z części zewnętrznej iklimatyzacja Warszawa wewnętrznej, spełniający wszystkie niezbędne wymagania dla klimatyzacji precyzyjnej pomieszczeń telekomunikacyjnych i klimatyzacji technologicznych
klimatyzacja w domu• Układ sterowania zainstalowano na karcie jednostki parowacza z zabudowanym lub przenośnym wyświetlaczem
klimatyzacja• Łatwość obsługi oraz pełny dostęp od spodu urządzenia gwarantuje możliwość szybkiej interwencji serwisowej
klimatyzacja • Sterowanie mikroprocesorowe - dostępne w różnych konfiguracjach - umożliwiaklimatyzacja zarządzanie pracą dwóch urządzeń w trybie czuwania i trybie pracy rotacyjnej.
klimatyzacja wszystko co powinieneś wiedzieć o klimatyzacji i klimatyzacja wentylacji w pigulce, jak wykonać klimatyzacja czy wentylacja wie wielu jak dobrze to klimatyzacje zrobić już mniej, szczególnie dobrą klimatyzację
Mini Shiki Sai Kan posiada większość funkcji swojego większego „brata” i jest doskonałym rozwiązaniem dla klientów z klimatyzacje ograniczonym budżetem, ale wymagających wysokiej jakości Thanks to confirm my comment will not accept lives

Anonymous said...

Hello there! This post couldn't be written any better! Reading this post reminds me of my good old room mate! He always kept chatting about this. I will forward this post to him. Fairly certain he will have a good read. Thank you for sharing!

my page klimatyzacja lg warszawa

三重古天樂 said...

酒店經紀 酒店小姐 酒店經紀公司
台北酒店工作 台北酒店經紀人 酒店兼差 酒店兼職 酒店公關 酒店上班 台北酒店上班 酒店打工 酒店工作內容 酒店pt 台北酒店 便服店 禮服店 酒店 酒店工作 酒店上班時間 酒店上班薪水 酒店上班內容 現領 當日領
打工兼職 打工兼差 酒店營業時間
酒店經濟 酒店面試

酒店經紀 酒店打工 酒店工作 酒店上班 酒店兼差 酒店兼職 打工兼差 打工兼職 台北酒店 酒店應徵 禮服店 酒店 經紀 打工 兼差便服店 台北酒店經紀 酒店薪水 酒店工作內容 酒店時間 酒店經濟 美式餐廳 台北咖啡廳 永康街咖啡廳
2015/08/26